Saturday 16 April 2016

My first Washi (Made by Rae Washi dress)

I have been thinking about spring/summer sewing and realizing that many of the garments I made last year no longer fit so I need to be thinking ahead and making some new ones in shapes that flatter me. I have long been aware of the Washi dress as there are so many beautiful versions on the web but I had never had an excuse to buy one - until now!!

  I actually made a muslin of the bodice (which I have never done on any of my previous makes!!) from that I discovered that the 'u' shape on the neckline would be too low cut for me, the rest of the fit was OK (although I perhaps should have made a full bust adjustment - this is something I really must get used to doing!!!!). I used material that I bought for a bargain £6/m from the Sew over it stall at the London knitting and stitching show. The fabric is gorgeous and I wish I had bought the grey colourway too.

  This is a beginner pattern and although I didn't struggle with it I think had I been a beginner I may have found it a little tricky. I didn't learn by my Moneta elastic issue and used an old spool of shirring elastic in my stash, again I think once stretched it didn't return to it's original state and so the dress doesn't pull in as tight as it should at the empire waistline, it looks fine from the front but a bit maternityish from the side.

  


The waistline looks so wonky in this photo - it's not in real life




I think this dress will be lovely without leggings in the summer, but it was just too cold at the beginning of April to go without!





Plus Julia cardi and scarf - this is how I wore it to a family event.

 Thanks for stopping by!

     Su xx

5 comments:

  1. Looks lovely on you. I love the Washi dress. I need to revist this pattern!

    Thestylishstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks just right, I love a dress with pockets. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That whole outfit at the end looks so put together!

    ReplyDelete