Monday 6 July 2015

True Bias Southport X 2

With all of this summery weather we have been having I have been feeling that my wardrobe is lacking in summer dresses. I bought the Southport dress pattern when it was on offer after it was released and at the time I thought 'why am I buying a dress pattern, I should be buying work related patterns' but I am so glad I did!! For anyone who doesn't know it is a loose fitting summer dress in both short and maxi versions, it uses bias binding to finish off the neckline and armholes, and has a front button placket on the bodice.

  For my first version I used a duvet cover I found in a charity shop, I only made it a week ago but have already worn it several times! I made a straight size 14, it is supposed to be loose fitting and drapey but even after taking it in an extra 1/2 inch it is still a little too loose. I also wanted the back to be lower than the pattern so I just traced off the front neckline onto the back pattern piece. Unfortunately I think this makes it fall off my sloping shoulders!! I also added two inches to the length. I decided not to add the buttons because I really dislike buttons of any kind and they are not necessary as the dress slips on and off easily without them, I cut the front bodice piece on the fold. Despite the issues it is so comfie and I think looks OK?! Anyway I loved it an knew I wanted to make another in 'good' fabric from my stash ASAP!


I used cord for the drawstring, I think it provides a good contrast.


Beware the dipped back with sloping shoulders!!

 For my 'good' version I had this amazing art gallery fabric I bough on sale from Dragonfly Fabrics ages ago that I thought would be perfect. The cotton is just divine to sew with - I can see how spending a little more on your fabric is worth while! Again I added two inches to the skirt length, I cut a size 12 bodice and graded out to a size 14 on the skirt. I added 1cm to the front neck and cut the back a little higher than on my first version. My overlocker is currently being repaired (and I am deciding which child I am going to have to sell to pay for it!) so I used french seams on the bodice and because I didn't know how to finish skirt seams with pockets I just used bias binding to finish off all the raw edges. How do you finish off your seams if you don't have or didn't want to use an overlocker?


I just LOVE the pockets!!


The fabric is just so light and cool!


Being unwittingly photo bombed by my very cheeky middle child!


And again!


This is my perfect summer dress pattern!!!!

I've seen some really wonderful versions out there, both short and maxi - Has anyone else found their perfect summer dress pattern?

   Thanks for stopping by!

              Su




9 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous, I love that they look smart/casual, my summer dresses make me feel like I am going to a wedding...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here I love the look of the fit and flare dresses but i just feel like I am too dressed up for the school run and mucking about with the kids - the Southport makes me feel like I have made a bit of an effort but I am comfie and not too dressy as well!

      Delete
  2. Oh these are so cute! I'm amazed that the first one is a bed sheet! I am the same way right now with needing very cool summer dresses for our hot weather! It's hot like we've never had it and I only have a couple of these type of dresses to wear.

    I debated with whether to get the Southport or the Califaye Basics dress. I ended up with the latter and hope to make my first one later this week! I will post then and let you know how it turned out! I do like the Southport as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooooh! I had not heard of the Califaye Basics dress - just googled it - it looks really great! I can't wait to see your version!! I love the dipped back - I wonder if it stays on shoulders easier than my adapted Southport?!

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful, the first in noway looks like a sheet, the print is awesome. Dress two is perfect. Really tempted by this pattern. Perfect for this heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it (did I mention that already!!) I think you should go for it!!

      Delete
  4. I am very fond of my pinking shears (and terrified of the overlocker). I really don't understand how the Southport passed me by - both of yours look lovely. Using a duvet is SUCH a good idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have become friends with my pinking shears too but things do tend to get frayed after a few washes, plus knits are easier with an overlocker - I just hope mine is fixable!

      Delete
  5. Perfect pattern fro the perfect dress. Jo x

    ReplyDelete