Saturday 30 May 2015

Maude....

After seeing this version of the Lazy seamstress's Maude skirt I couldn't wait for the pattern to be released! I bought it, downloaded it as soon as possible and got started on a practice version with the left over duvet cover from my Lilou muslin. I did have a little difficulty with the pdf, my triangles and page edges wouldn't match up which created a few issues when cutting out and meant that my side pocket pieces ended up longer than all of the other pieces. But it was totally worth working things out!




  This is a great stash busting pattern as the individual pieces only use up relativlely small amounts of fabric, also there are lots of potential combinations and variations. Depending on the fabric used this skirt could be great for either summer or winter. My practice skirt was a little on the snug side so for the real thing I reduced all of the seam allowances by 0.5cm giving me an extra 3cm over all. I used the lightweight denim left over from my denim shift dress and again top stitched the pocket edges and hemline in purple:


  The waist is supposed to be finished with petersham ribbon (I had no idea what it was so I had to google it!) I didn't have any but used this beautiful Cath Kidston vintage rose grossgrain ribbon from my stash:


I love the pockets (obviously)!!



  One of our half term activities was getting on a local foot passenger ferry to go crabbing on a jetty at the other side of the river, I convinced my daughter to take a couple of shots of the skirt while we were waiting (it was a bit windy so they are not great photos!) 


I find it hard to photograph plain garments - they never look as great in the photos as they do in real life! - I love this skirt - it will go with lots of things in my wardrobe and is so comfie but looks quite smart too.



 I can also think of lots of combinations for this skirt and have plans for more summer ones as well as a few winter ones!!



  We had great fun on our crabbing expedition - although we didn't actually catch any crabs!!!!

  I hope everyone else's half term has gone as well as ours.

  Thanks for stopping by

      Su xx

  We have had some amazing sunset's and cloud colours this week


  




7 comments:

  1. Oh, I can see why you love that skirt, Su. Those pockets! I love it when I find a pattern I want to make over and over. I will look forward to see your many iterations!

    I love that pink ferrry boat. Looks like it was a lovely outing! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! it is a great pattern! The pink ferry is great fun - the trip is only 5 mins or so but the kids love it!!

      Delete
  2. This skirt is all about the pockets! It looks good in denim too. This pattern is such a great stash buster - I need to do this rather than keep buying fabric. Easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a great stash buster - and my stash seriously needs busting as my sewing cupboard is about to burst!!

      Delete
  3. Oooh another pattern to my ever increasing wish list! Both your versions are fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! I really do love it's versatility, it is a really fun pattern!

      Delete
  4. Missed this post somehow! The denim Maude is fantastic. Looks like a skirt you'd pay a lot of money for. I can imagine this in all kinds of fabric from soft linen to thick ribbed cord. You are going to have fun with this pattern that's for sure. PS I love the cute birdie one! So cute for summer, if we ever get any sun.

    ReplyDelete