Monday 10 April 2017

Sew me something Kate X 2

I have been looking for the perfect simple dress pattern, something understated but with a bit of interest. I spied the Sew me something Kate dress and bought it a while ago. There are several variations that make it suitable for every season. I had dreams of a linen summer version and finally got round to making it out of a lovely purple linen/cotton blend. I chose the version with cute puffed sleeves and a little gather at the front neckline.


 Initially I was really disappointed - it was so large that the bust darts were waist height and I had to take it in by 1.5cm at the side seams and shoulders (stupidly I didn't try it on until after I had set in the sleeves!) With all of the alterations and repeated trying on I managed to stretch out the neckline all in all a disaster - or so I thought.....

  Since making it I have worn it loads!!!! I love the colour, the sleeves and especially the contrast bias binding. It is really comfortable and although I have now decided that gathers at the neckline really don't suit me I still think I will get lots of wear over the summer.

  I decided to give the pattern another chance and made a version without a gather at the neckline. I chose a gorgeous Koi carp patterned linen/cotton blend that I bought ages ago from Ditto fabrics. This fabric needed a very simple pattern so I chose the non- bound sleeve option and used the same fabric as the dress for the neck line binding.

  I love the result!!!!


Excuse the odd pose - I'm not quite sure what was going on!!!!

Today as it was a little cooler than at the weekend this is how I wore it:


  Both ways of wearing it are very 'me' and I think this dress will be worn as often as possible!!

  Thanks for stopping by!

        Su xx



3 comments:

  1. Both versions are lovely, it's amazing how different the two versions look. I love the way you wore it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Su the second version is really nice on you. I used that fabric with the koi carp on and it is really lovely. I made this dress once may moons ago and it did not work for me. I made so many alterations and never got the shoulders to look right. In the end my mate tried it on, who is much taller, and it looked brilliant. She gave it a good home! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Su, The girls tops are from Ottobre Autumn 4/2012. It is my all time favourite edition with such great makes for girls - nothing too party or frilly just really cool stuff. Dungaree skirt, leggings, the strawberry tops both ling sleeve and short sleeved. The girl section goes up to 170 height. Well worth getting for £10 as a back issue. https://www.ottobredesign.com/lehdet_js/2012_4/all_designs_4-12.pdf
    This link shows the schematics. There is always a ling sleeved t version in most issues for boys but we do them in different fabric. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete